Students who have insurance comparable to the Student Medical Plan may waive the coverage. It is each student's responsibility to ensure that their alternate coverage is adequate.
Definition of Comparable Coverage
- Plan must be fully compliant with all coverage and consumer protection requirements outlined under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
- Coverage is currently active and the student agrees to maintain health coverage throughout the entire policy year.
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions with no waiting period.
- Plan provides coverage in Northeast Ohio or where enrolled in CWRU classes.
- Plan provides emergency and non-emergency inpatient and outpatient (laboratory, diagnostic services, primary and specialty care and physical therapy) and inpatient and outpatient mental health/substance abuse as any other condition.
In addition to meeting the above criteria, international students must:
- Have coverage for emergency medical evacuation in the amount of at least $50,000 (medical evacuation is emergency transportation to the nearest, most qualified treatment facility).
- Have coverage of at least $ 25,000 for repatriation (repatriation provides transportation to the student’s home country in the event of death).