Students who have insurance comparable to the Student Medical Plan may waive the coverage. It is each student's responsibility to ensure that their alternate coverage is adequate.
Definition of Comparable Coverage
- Insurance coverage is provided by a company licensed to do business in the United States, with a U.S. claims payment office and telephone number.
- Coverage is currently active and the student agrees to maintain health coverage throughout the entire policy year.
- Offers unlimited coverage per accident or illness.
- Offers inpatient and outpatient medical care in Northeast Ohio or where enrolled in CWRU classes. Emergency-only coverage does not satisfy this requirement.
- Covers inpatient and outpatient mental health and alcohol abuse care within Northeast Ohio or where enrolled in CWRU classes. Emergency-only coverage does not satisfy this requirement.
- Prescription medication is covered.
- Does not contain any clause that limits coverage on pre-existing conditions.
- International students coverage must provide emergency medical evacuation coverage in the amount of at least $50,000 (medical evacuation is emergency transportation to the nearest, most qualified treatment facility).
- International students coverage must provides at least $25,000 coverage for Repatriation (repatriation provides transportation to the student's home country in the event of death).